Skip to main content

You're gonna need a bigger boat

Greeted with glorious sunshine and a slight Westerly breeze on Tenby north beach last Monday. I met Deanna on the beach laying on my dry robe soaking up the vitamin D.
As I pulled my kit out the dry bag I noticed my tow float was burst! BUGGER!  So gutted as i had that float given to me by chill swim when I swam coniston, I've allready patched it up once so it seems it's not coming back to the Sea with me.
With this in mind we decided to stay real close to shore..... like real close as the Westerly wind had created what was to be a bumpy swim.
We got in and straight away I noticed the chill, but then this time of year I seem to feel it keenly as the sun has warmed you up so it always feels colder getting in....I don't know why.
We swam up the bay towards heart attack steps and than back and I was smiling to myself the whole time, the chop of the waves was lush and so much fun. We turned back around to head back to the steps when all I can describe was a bite/sting to my chest, I jumped and stood up immediately looking down for injuries , saw a little patch or red but when you swim in the sea all year round that's normal 😂 . Deanna stopped and asked what was wrong and I said I'd been stung, she laughed and said "they're back then ah well"   ( tough cookie that one) I brushed it off and carried on swimming.
We got out and I immediately noticed the area where I'd been stung had a rash. After dressing we layed in the sun drinking tea and chatting about what that could have been.
A few days later the rash had gone but a nasty  bruise had come up in it's place. As the bruise started to fade you could see what I thought looked like teeth marks in the bruise. I've shown the bruise to fellow swimmers and they've agreed with me that it does Indeed look like teeth marks.
So what was it?
It's true that I have previously been called the Bluetit jellyfish magnet, Sian joking with me that if there's only one in the bay then you can bet it'll find me, she even one year made me a jellyfish necklace ( not from actual jellyfish 🤣🤣).
Maddie who volunteers for sea trust said she'd ask her people in the know but I wouldn't believe what's lurking beneath the water, did I want to know? No thanks I'll live in ignorant bliss! 😂
Meanwhile Penny one of our Bluetits is sharing on FB about watching jaws while floating in a lake at night! Thanks for that in my head 🤣
So with the bruise fading I head back to north beach with Bluetit makala and get in and swim.
On that note I'll leave you with a quote from the mothership
"It's all completely normal!"

See you all out there 😉😉😋

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice training

30 October 2018 I just want to say that everything I do in this blog is my own decision,I am not encouraging others to do what I'm doing or saying what I'm doing is the right way to do it, I'm sure I'll make mistakes along my journey. Please be kind as sometimes I'm an idiotπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ Woke up this morning to a very sharp and heavy frost, Jack had been hard at work through the night indeed! The thing that went through my mind as I opened the curtains to the frost was WOW then Oh Shit this ones gonna hurt! This is my first Ice training of the season, the last swim at the pond was 9.8 and that was a sharp acknowledgment to the temperatures dropping fast. Preparing my bag for the swim I was trying to be methodical as possible and trying to remember what it was like last season so with that in mind 2 hot water bottles went in, my hot flask of camomile tea ( usually hot chocolate) loose easy layers, thick fluffy socks, fleeced lined boots ( 2 sizes too big) onsie, hat

inTiTernational ! 😍😍😍

So this morning's swim I met Sian ( my partner in the Bluetits)  in Tenby on north beach. Sun shining, blue sky with just a touch of a breeze. As we walked along to where we would park our stuff we chatted and in usual Sian style made some noise to get everyone's attention πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ We got into our costumes and as we walked along the sand to the Sea I spotted a man just watching us,  we get that a lot, more in winter obviously πŸ˜‚ , I greeted him with a "hello" , I got a "hi there" back in an American accent ,he then struck up the usual conversation of "isn't it cold in there" etc  " oh we just love it we replied" . Sian in her usual playful self asked if he'd like to Join us, he hesitated so I chimed in that we'd look after him. After a few seconds of what we could see was a bit of do I don't I join these mad ladies he agreed and in luck as I'd brought my robbie and towel! He had shorts on underneath his jogger's so

Here comes the sun little darlin .....

A little nod to say goodbye winter and sut Mae summer. As I sat on the beach waiting for my pal Deanna to swim I take a look around and see  blue skies and sunshine  and have to acknowledge with a heavy heart that winter is definitely over. It actually brings a tear to my eyes. I know right? It's sad.....  Well for me it is. I think I have SADS ( seasonal affective disorder) only being sad that winter is finished and summer is beginning. Why? There's something about the winter that's different about the summer, forgetting the obvious that is πŸ˜‚ , I like the shivering, I like wearing 20 layers after a swim and looking like the Michelin man, I like wearing my dry robe and wellies to the beach, I like my purple double lined hat with the tails I tie under my chin, I like  getting blue lips, I like getting white hands, I like when people ask if it's cold in there, I like that I can't feel my feet for an hour after my swim,  I like that I shake so much after I end up s