Skip to main content

We're all perfectly normal here!

As usual I gotta say that this is my own personal journey into the Ice.
The things I do whether right or wrong is Just my story of what's happening with me and a need to be as honest as possible about it. Good,bad or indifferent.

It's Sunday and I've lost my shore person that helps me ( husband) so I've got a different helper today. Jan the angelic dresser has agreed to come help me. It's wierd not having Phil here today but needs must and I know I'm well looked after with Jan and Sian here.
I've packed the gear and made my flask and hot Water bottles up and chucked them in the van with a million layers! I've bought rope and a bouy to mark out a 26 metre course to see if it changes thing's for me.

I get to the pond and the ladies haven't arrived yet so I put the thermometer in the water and get the bouy out the van ready.
The temperature is 4.4 degrees, perfect! What isn't so perfect is that sodding lazy wind!

Sian and Jan arrive and we set about dumping the bouy into the Water at the right point to mark course. I'm also going through my recovery process with Jan so she knows where everything is and what's likely to happen.

No messing today I can feel that determination coming through, the talk with Maddie helped after last week.

Jan is stood at one end of the bouy and sian at the other other.
As I get in Sian is saying " swim to the bouy and I'll start the stop clock from the moment you start swimming from there and we'll count every lap from then" I nod and say " see you on the flip side"  she repeats it back and that's it I'm off!

As I turn for my first lap I hear Sian shout 1! " LET'S DO THIS I think.
I'm trying to count the laps with them but my mind wanders and I can't seem to count ( yes I know can't anyway).  I start singing " happy" in my head over and over till I get to that trigger point again (where I " think" I need to get out but i don't), I can feel it but it can do one cos I ain't giving it the time of day . I've actually visualised in my head telling it to f off . I've broken passed it! Yay! I'm swimming strong but can feel that I've slowed down some but plough on. Every other turn i look up and see that Sian is either doing a Mexican wave , shouting some obsenity at me or calling out my laps so I know where I am. It makes me giggle and stops me thinking I'm cold.

My hands have gone completely numb now but they don't even hurt anymore they just feel like hard blocks of Ice that I can't move. I can feel the cold seeping into my wrists and it feels like a rope has been tied around them and it's getting tighter and tighter, I ignore it but that Icy wind is picking the water up from the pond and is chucking it about so I'm  getting a bit of water intake between breath's. I plough on.

I've got 2 more laps to do and I'm feeling stronger than I thought I would at this point but I say I think I'm getting out to which sian shout's "no you're fucking not you've got 2 laps left you better swim now!" I just look at her and grumble obsenities at her but I swim the last 2 laps hearing Jan shout "come on trace!". I'm fine, I don't know why I said I was getting out! I swim to the edge and Jan has me  wrapped in my dry robe immediately and walking me back to the van to dry and dress.

Jan doesn't give me the option of dressing myself, she's there with me helping me get my clothes on as my hands have clawed and I can't move my fingers yet. All the time she's talking to me how well I've done and she's so proud of me. Sometimes you don't really realise how much you need to hear that till it's said, thanks Jan.

I'm dressed and trying to drink hot chocolate 😂 I'm well into my shaking and shivering and my usual recovery of wanting to move about a bit when Sian pops her head into van and says " all completely normal" and laughs uproariously! My recovery is short but I still have a little shivery moments when we go to the local for coffee after.

I can't stop smiling. I'm litteraly grinning from ear to ear! I get home and I'm still grinning.

I now know that it's GAME ON !

So what have I changed? The amount of times I swim. I think I was doing too much and knackering myself out.

What have I learned?
Don't be so hard on myself and believe in myself . PMA!
I think too much,I Gotta stop thinking!

What did Jan learn?
That I'm certifiable! Without a doubt!
Sian knows this already!

See you on the flipside!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ice training

30 October 2018 I just want to say that everything I do in this blog is my own decision,I am not encouraging others to do what I'm doing or saying what I'm doing is the right way to do it, I'm sure I'll make mistakes along my journey. Please be kind as sometimes I'm an idiotπŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜‚ Woke up this morning to a very sharp and heavy frost, Jack had been hard at work through the night indeed! The thing that went through my mind as I opened the curtains to the frost was WOW then Oh Shit this ones gonna hurt! This is my first Ice training of the season, the last swim at the pond was 9.8 and that was a sharp acknowledgment to the temperatures dropping fast. Preparing my bag for the swim I was trying to be methodical as possible and trying to remember what it was like last season so with that in mind 2 hot water bottles went in, my hot flask of camomile tea ( usually hot chocolate) loose easy layers, thick fluffy socks, fleeced lined boots ( 2 sizes too big) onsie, hat

inTiTernational ! 😍😍😍

So this morning's swim I met Sian ( my partner in the Bluetits)  in Tenby on north beach. Sun shining, blue sky with just a touch of a breeze. As we walked along to where we would park our stuff we chatted and in usual Sian style made some noise to get everyone's attention πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ We got into our costumes and as we walked along the sand to the Sea I spotted a man just watching us,  we get that a lot, more in winter obviously πŸ˜‚ , I greeted him with a "hello" , I got a "hi there" back in an American accent ,he then struck up the usual conversation of "isn't it cold in there" etc  " oh we just love it we replied" . Sian in her usual playful self asked if he'd like to Join us, he hesitated so I chimed in that we'd look after him. After a few seconds of what we could see was a bit of do I don't I join these mad ladies he agreed and in luck as I'd brought my robbie and towel! He had shorts on underneath his jogger's so

Winter training week 12th November

This last week has Been so up and down, water temperatures have been so reactive  to the weather at the pond. At one point it was back up to 9 degree's so quite frustrating but still all good acclimatisation training. This Sunday was cooler. I felt it immediately getting up that morning as we tend not to use the heating, yes I know a cheap skate on paying for heating but all good for environment too eh?😁 I don't have to take my son to work this morning so I get to go early and catch the pond before the sun hits it hoorah! My hubby is not best pleased at this....."FFS woman it's Sunday morning" , so after a bribe he agrees to get a move on and come to the pond with me. I've eaten a good warming breakfast today.....left over curry on toast πŸ˜‰.. And packed my bag. I've put my swimsuit on underneath my clothes today to be ready and try and limit my faffing. The drive to the pond is always exciting, my tummy rolling with nerve's, I can honestly say I&